Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Damage!

Got the kit today just before lunch. All was in order, no visible damage on the outside of the box and a superficial look doesn't reveal any damage.

As I was unpacking everything I inspected the rim in detail, no dings in the rim, but time will tell me if it is true (round). Some of the spokes don't look quite right, so I think I will get a bike shop to look it over prior to any heavy riding.

As I was about to hook the battery up to the charger I noticed that the metal casing of the charger was bent. When I plugged the charger in, one of the lights flashes red and according to the instructions on the front of the charger this indicates "abnormal" behaviour. I don't want to plug the $550 battery into it until I check it out so I rang Rod from EV-Power and he said that the damage must have happened in transit and that the light will flash until you hook up the battery, which I dutifully do and the lights indicate proper charging. I guess I have to live with the damage.

The charger is quite heavy (circa 2kg) and I think I will have to rethink my plan of commuting with it every day to charge it at work. We'll have to see what sort of range I end up getting before I fork out for another one. Rod has indicated a cost around $80.

Tonight my plan is to swap the tyre from my old wheel to the new wheel and install the puncture guards in front and rear wheels. After I do this I will install the new rear wheel and test the system prior to cabling everything up. The tyre that ships with the kit is laughable, but as Rod pointed out its primary role is to protect the rim during shipping.

Here are some pics of the damaged charger:



No comments: