Saturday, May 3, 2008

Project 2-speed is complete

A few weeks ago I blogged about getting a single speed free wheel on the back wheel of my bike and how I needed a bigger crankset on the front to maintain a decent speed without sprinting. Well this work is now complete and I have three rides under my belt on this setup. I also had comfy soft-touch bar ends installed to compliment my new grips as well as an interim headlight to prevent further crashes (more on this in future posts, lets call it "Project Headlight"). The final part of this purchase was the new seat I needed after crashing.

The speed I am now maintaining is only 1-2 kph faster than before, but I can keep it up for much longer. Before I used to have to pedal quite fast to get to 38 kph on a flat and then I would have to rest, then go again. Now it is achievable with a much mor comfortable cadence.



Here is a picture of the bike:


Here is picture of the new drive train:




Here is a photo of the handlebar setup. It is pretty crowded now. Note the rubber band around the thumb throttle. This is my "cruise control".



Here is a better photo of the "cruise control". You might think that it will interfere with the gear changer, but this is defunct now since I only have one gear on the back.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - nice to see another ebike tinker at work (: I currently run Giant CRX front small hub @48v.
But - have started a new project
I recently have purchased the front wheel variety of your motor. To build a XC 26" road bike. I'll be keeping the rear cog so hopefully a crank up grade is not in my future. Naturally I found your blog of interest (: I'll run the standard voltage for a while - but know I will not be able to help myself and end up upping to 48v. *grin* Best of luck on roads - most of my commute is on motorways so I relate - bicycles have a right to ride on the road in NSW too - but some how I guess some drivers failed this question in their driving test. Or so it would seem.
Check out Endless-sphere.com if you have not already - helpful group of EV ppl.

Cheers
Nitecheck