Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Breakage!

My twist throttle broke today. It must be psychic.

I was actually thinking at the time how dissatisfied I am with the twist throttle at the very moment that it gave up. A piece of plastic inside the collar broke and the handle detached from the electronic mechanism and the spring came out. Here is a picture of the breakage:



See the silver strip at the back of the curve? That is the magnet. It seems that the absence of the magnet causes the power to be always on. I'm not sure what the opposite side of the magnet entails, it must be more than a simple magnetic switch since it is not and on/off situation.

Actually on/off is what I want. I want to be able to just switch the power on and have a momentary, normally on switch to cut the power without applying the brakes so I can coast down hills without consuming power. Removing the crappy grips will allow me to put in something softer and make less strain on my wrists. I've asked Rod from EV Power to replace the twist throttle with a thumb throttle. I think this will allow me to dodgy something up that holds the power on without me having to use my hand and then put on some better hand grips.

On a different note, I had previously thought I was getting less power, but it turns out that the wheel was still not quite true and I had tightened the rear brake a little too much and it was rubbing on the rim for 1 third of each revolution. I have loosened this and the problem went away. This allowed me to reach a new record average speed on the way to work of 33.1 kph.

Now that the bike is off the road for a little while I will be taking it into the bike shop for a few more serious modifications, which I will detail in my next post.

No comments: