Sunday, April 6, 2008

Riding in the rain

This post is inspired by a comment on a previous post wondering if I was going to ride in then rain. Well the answer is yes, but not deliberately.

It was a Monday morning and I was a bit disorganised and so did not pay much attention to the weather, nor did I check the weather RADAR before leaving home. About 5 minutes from home it started to rain. That is about the time I started thinking about checking the RADAR, better late than never. I thought for a minute about turning back, but then decided it would probably stop in a few minutes. It didn't. By the time I got to work I was completely soaked. Even my shoes were soaked right through as if I have been walking in the ocean.

A few thoughts about the experience are:
  1. In the end I am glad that it didn't stop. I wasn't cold due to the fact that I kept up a fair amount of pedalling to keep warm. If it had stopped I would have got very cold.
  2. The worst thing about riding in the rain is the visibility. Water keeps getting in your eyes and as a result you have the tendency to keep looking down. I nearly had one crash because of this.

No comments: