Saturday, March 1, 2008

Full throttle, no assist test

I have just got back from my first proper test ride. This test was meant to work out what the bike is capable of without the rider pedalling and to go full throttle the whole way around. I believe the unassisted range would be greater if you keep your speed down.

I rode a 3.8 km circuit which is best described as flat-ish. There is one steep hill that is right after a sharp turn, so essentially is a standing start. Only about 20 m long though.

Here are the stats:

Starting battery voltage: unknown. On full charge it was 41.5V, but I did ride the bike around for about 10 minutes last night.

Overall conditions: Slightly breezy. 23 degrees Celsius.

Distance before the battery cut out the first time: 13.6 km, then I had to pedal assist to get it up that steep bit and got another kilometre out of it without pedalling and had to pedal the last 400m to home, but I still didn't raise a sweat and the motor did keep giving me some help almost all the way home.

Total trip distance: 16.9km, which is about the same distance between home and work, proving that on a full charge I can do the whole ride without pedalling if I chose to.

Average trip speed: 24.9 km/h

Max speed: 40.1 km/h

Cruising speed on the flat, slight head wind: 27 km/h first lap, 25-26 second lap, 24 third lap.

Battery voltage end of trip: 34.1V

All-in-all I was pretty happy with it. Next test I will do the same again, but with a proper full charge and I will test the starting voltage. My thoughts are that I will take the charger to work and go home on a full charge.

No comments: