Wednesday, March 5, 2008

First Commute

I rode into work for the first time today. All went well, but my stats are a bit skewed because I stopped for coffee with a mate about 2 km from work, but here are the stats from the first leg:

Distance: 14.885 km
Average Speed:
31.9 kph
Time: 28 minutes even

I was pretty happy with this since I am on target for a regular commute in the sub 35 minute range. On the way home I took it a bit easier and stopped to pump up my tyres to their maximum pressure on the way home, so it took 39 minutes. The ride left me with four observations:
1: I wont be going back to cycling without assistance in a hurry
2: I need a bigger front gear since I am maxing out my cadence on downhills and am unable to go much faster than 43 kph without really sprinting.
3: The brake levers that came with this kit are really crap. I REALLY like the fact that they cut the power as soon as you put them on, but the plastic body is quite cheaply made and there is way too much play in them and it makes them difficult to adjust right.
4: The charger is really heavy and lugging it to and from work is not sustainable.

Anyway, tomorrow's commute will be a short one since I have to drop my car in for a wheel alignment and ride in the 8 km from there. At least I wont have to take the charger in.

No comments: