Monday, March 3, 2008

I Suck

Took the bike in to work today. Ostensibly to do a few more tests at lunch time, but in reality I just wanted to show it off to the guys at work. They were suitably impressed. As it turns out I managed to leave my bike helmet at home, so I decided not to go out at lunch time. Instead I left work early and did the test around the same track as the previous test. Bringing me to the reason why the subject of this post is called: "I Suck".

How much do you think a human is worth in terms of power? Well I guess a good way to measure this would be in terms of average speed over a given distance, which is exactly what I did. It was the same 3.8 km circuit, a little less windy than Saturday and starting with a little more charge. So how much is a human worth? Or should I be asking how much am I worth? Or should I be asking if I am human? Perhaps a question for another post. 15 kph? 10 kph? Try 5.1 kph. Here are the results:

Test 2: Motor vs. Human? + Motor
Distance: 3.8 km flat-ish loop
Motor only average speed: 28.2 kph (8 minutes 5 seconds)
Motor + Human in top gear pedalling flat-out average speed: 33.3 kph (6 minutes 50)

Hence why I suck, a measly 5.1 kph difference is all I am worth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We always knew this, of course - but its always a shock when you find out for yourself...