Saturday, March 1, 2008

Woodwork part 2

Why was my last post called woodwork? Well some people are comfortable working with wood, and some are better with metal. My medium is wood. You could say it was because my paternal grandfather was a boat builder, or maybe it's because my Dad was always working with wood, maybe it is because I did woodwork in high school instead of metalwork. Maybe it's because in year 7 when we did both woodwork and metalwork that Mr Howard used to hit me in the back of the head with his knuckle. An act that was forever known as being Mr Howarded.

So I needed to make a proper bracket for the battery since it was clearly too heavy to be held on with cable ties. I have friends who can weld and would make a nice metal bracket for me, but that would involve waiting. Bugger that.

My idea was to get some wood that was the same width as the battery bracket that came with the battery, but thick enough to make the battery lock clear the bike rack so I could mount it properly in the centre. There is an integral metal plate in my luggage carrier at the front that I could use a tek screw to attach the wood to, but only bars at the back. So I decided to put a piece of wood underneath the luggage rack at right angles to the main mounting piece and screw through into it. I was worried that friction alone wouldn't be enough to stop the rear mount from sliding from side-to-side, so I filed some channels into the top of the bottom piece of wood to anchor it in place and prevent it from sliding.

Here are some pictures of the finished bracket. The black metal bracket on top is the one that came with the battery:

The two outside bars you can see on the second picture are the ones that the channels in the wood line up with. This is why it isn't very square.

Here is a photo of the completed bike with the battery attached:

No comments: